I had the little pieces next to my sewing machine and was piecing them bit by bit but didn't seem to be getting anywhere. When suddenly, all of the blocks were pieced and I excitedly lay the blocks and the centre block on my work bench to see how it all looked. I was so disappointed. The colours were really bland and desperately needed a 'zinger' to give it all a lift.
I left it there for a while and realised that if I was going to proceed with the dolly quilt, I would have to unpick the blocks and add some new fabric.
I didn't have the energy for it and decided instead to abandon the project.
I did however, really like the centre block (it was from my Whimsy bag design) and thought I might be able to do something with it.
I kept looking it and decided it would make a nice cushion.
I just added some fabric squares around the outside of the centre block; fused some pellon to the back; added some hand quilting with Perle 8 thread; added a backing and filled it with a cushion insert.
The end product looks very inviting on a chair in my studio.
After realising how quickly this cushion came together, I have made a plan to make a couple of more cushions this year. It's a good way to use up scraps as well as left over blocks!
Until next time