I'm pleased to say that I managed to find some time to do some sewing this week after all and quilted the Makeshift Garden quilt. I quilted in the ditch of the seams around each block and had originally thought of adding some buttons as well but because this quilt will end up on our sofa, I decided against it. Nothing worse than having a button in the middle of your back!
My attention then turned to the binding. When I added the borders, I really liked the way the darker fabric framed the coloured blocks. I wanted to carry this onto the binding but unfortunately I didn't have enough of the brown stripe to bind the whole quilt. In fact I didn't have a lot of any of the fabric left but I did have enough bits and pieces which could be sewn together for a scrappy binding. I only used the darker of the fabrics including the blacks and browns, the darker green and the purple. I cut the binding at 2 1/4" and doubled it over. Sewing it down will be my long weekend project.
I forgot to mention the other day that for the backing, I pieced together a couple of fat quarters from my stash. I chose fabrics that I know I won't be using anywhere else and that fit in with the colours in the quilt top.
Now that this project is under control, I'm starting to think about the next one. I'm thinking I need some more floor mats. Will let the idea rattle around in my head while I'm watching the NRL Grand Final. Can't believe that footy season is almost over.
Until next time