Managed to get some sewing done on my Maple Leaf Dolly Quilt on the weekend - in fact it's almost finished!. That's one of the things that I like about making dolly quilts, they are really achievable and provide a break if I'm bogged down on a bigger project.
On Friday afternoon, I laid the finished blocks out on my work table in what I hoped was a nice arrangement, and left them over night so I could see them fresh first thing in the morning. I find this a good strategy when I'm putting together quilt blocks; it means that you get to look at it with 'fresh eyes' and any glaring mismatches seem to be more obvious. Besides that, when I'm trying to arrange quilt blocks I get to the point where I just seem to be moving blocks around over and over again. It's good to call a halt and start again the next day.
For the sashings, after auditioning lots of lighter fabrics I settled on a biege background with a small red print.
For the outside borders, I'm following Kathleen Tracey's lead in her pattern and just adding borders to the ends. After tossing up between two black prints I settled on the one with the large pink flowers and cut these at 3.5".
I found suitable backing fabric in my stash and then layered it for quilting.
I have a self-imposed 'rule' that for all my dolly quilts I have to do at least some hand quilting but with this one I'm planning to do only hand quilting - and of course it will be with my favourite Perle 8 thread.
I'm pleased with how it's looking so far.
Peace on Earth...
It's a small scrappy quilt (18.5" x 18.5") with Christmas stitcheries.
Until next time